Google Adsense – still going strong in 2012. I know it isn’t everyone’s favorite way to earn money, but it is a pretty simple way for someone with a site to start earning some extra cash.
If you want to use Adsense to monetize your website or blog, there are a couple tips you should keep in mind:
- Make sure you have some decent content on your site before you apply. If you are using a blog – then I like to aim at 7-10 posts before I even apply. Just ends up being quicker, rather than having your site denied.
- If you do get denied, adjust your site accordingly and reapply with another Google account.
- Once you are approved for one site you can use Adsense on any site you also own. remember though the terms of service still apply.
- Learn the terms of service and don’t break any of the rules – you will be caught and you will be shut down.
- Never click your own ads, or get friends/family too. They will know.
- Use a blogger.com website to apply – seems to work faster.
- Feel free to use non-contextual ads alongside Adsense – you can use both affiliate offers and adsense with no problem.
- You can have 3 different page blocks per page.
- Make sure your ads fit on your site. Don’t have ads that stick out of the sidebar and appear cut off.
- You have to create new ads on the Google Adsense page to change the size.
- Blend your links into the site. Choose your own custom colors for ads. Match them with your website color scheme.
- Add lots of content to your site – more content that people can find and share – which leads to ad views/clicks.
- Don’t add images with arrows etc… pointing at your ads.
- Adding Adsense search to your site is a good way to increase your ad revenue. WordPress has a number of plugins that can help with that.
- Don’t have any illegal stuff on your website – porn, illegal downloads, drug or etc…
If you keep these tips in mind, you are off to a great start. I hope your 2012 is your most successful year yet!