When people are working from home affiliate marketing, it can be tough to really keep track of your hours. Sometimes you will just get lost in front of the computer, and won’t realize you are working too hard.
With physical labor you will feel it in your body when you overwork. Working from home in front of your computer is a little different, you might not get those clues from your body. This is especially true if you have a comfortable workspace and your eyes are used to long hours in front of a computer.
Some people will argue you can’t work too hard, and I get that. There has to be a point for everyone though, when too much is simply too much. I think there are some signs that everyone should be aware of. If you find yourself relating to some of these, it might be time for you to step back and reassess just how much you are working:
Signs You Might Be Working Too Much:
1. No Social Life – Work is important and when you are building your own little online empire, it becomes a huge priority. You need to keep some sort of balance in your life though. If the highlight of your weekend is resfreshing Google Analytics, you might want to try some social interaction. And I mean real life social interaction, not tweeting more.
2. Other Areas Of Your Life Lacking - Notice you aren’t in great shape any more? Have you noticed you aren’t the cleanest one of your friends? What about your diet? Have you been living on Mountain Dew and Funyuns? Work is important. I get that. Yes, building an online business takes man hours, but you have to make sure your basic needs are taken care of. No matter what your business is you have to make sure personal hygiene, exercise and nutrition are taken care of.
3. Enraged Much? – Have you noticed things that used to annoy you not set you off big time? When the Twitter API fails do you want to take your computer and pitch it out the window? Have you ever yelled at your furry canine companion because he dared look at you for a scratch? If you find that you are more prone to mood swings, especially anger. It is time to step back, and take a look at your workload.
4. Can’t Disengage - It is super important to be able to disengage from your work. Besides it being healthy, socially and psychologically, there is also a work related benefit. When you fully disengage from work, you will be able to look at problems with a different mindset. You will also find your mind more open to generating new ideas. If you go to sleep, close your eyes and see the WordPress back office – you aren’t disengaging. When work time is over – it is over.
5. People Tell You – Alright, not everyone in your life is a good influence. I know this. In fact I am quite often a bad influence. I will admit that sometimes I am the guy who will chant “Do it! Do it!” when someone turns down their tenth beer. That said, almost everyone has positive friends and family in their life. If multiple people you trust are telling you to tone it down, then seriously consider it.
Success does not come without some hard work. This has been proven over and over again. The online realm is no different. The thing is, you have to remember to work smart as well. Working smart includes knowing your limits. If you make sure you don’t overwork yourself, all aspects of your life will be better – and that includes business.