One of the most popular sources for affiliate marketing traffic is of course Google. It is the most visited search engine and I have seen studies that say 90% of all web traffic comes from search engines. There are two ways people tap into this traffic – paid Google ads, and organic SEO. In essence SEO can be done for free, the thing is it does take time to learn and put into practice.
For some people this investment in time isn’t possible. They would rather feature on their web content etc… They will often look to outsource their SEO efforts. This can be a good solution for two reasons:
- It frees you up to build valuable web content. Your site will gain in th Google rankings as you work away making it more compelling and useful.
- You can see the exact results of your investment. You will be able to easily track your Google rank and the traffic coming from it. Very easy to figure out your return on investment (ROI).
Not every SEO professional or company is the same though. While there are a multitude of people and companies offering SEO services there are a couple lies that you have to be wary of. If someone makes the following claims, then I would probably look somewhere else…
1. I will guarantee you #1 spot on Google for your keyword: I always worry when someone tell me they can get me the number one spot on Google for sure. It is just a black flag to me. I have done a lot of SEO in the past, and I know better than to guarantee a number one spot in Google. No one besides Google could guarantee that, no matter how likely it seems.
2. I will submit your site to X number of search engines: This is another warning sign. It is 2011, you don’t have to submit your site to search engines. The ones you care about (Google mostly, also Bing and Yahoo) will find your site all on their own. There is no reason to pay someone for this useless exercise.
3. You better hire us, you won’t be able to understand SEO: While SEO can be tricky water to navigate it isn’t the Davinci Code. If you are dedicated to learning about SEO, you can learn enough to raise your own rankings. The question won’t be “Can I do it?” because yes, you can. They might be able to do it quicker but if they pretend it is impossible for you to figure out – walk away.
4. We can trick Google: There is no need to use any sneaky (or black-hat) techniques to rise in the search engines. Besides the fact it is unneeded, it is also dangerous. Instead of ranking near the top of Google, you could find yourself removed from the rankings completely.
These four lies, or exaggerations if you want to be politically correct, are warning signs that your SEO consultant or company might not be a good choice.
I suggest that you do your due diligence and research any potential SEO company you hire. Use the internet to look for reviews, and ask for references. You should contact 3 references and see if they got the results they wanted. Don’t just ask about their Google ranking, ask them how the rank effected their bottom-line and traffic.
Good luck with your SEO efforts, remember if you don’t feel comfortable with a company, move on, there are a lot to choose from.